FAQ Topic: English And Education 

1. How is my residency determined for tuition purposes?
  2. Should I attend my program’s Campus Visit Day/preview day if one is offered?
  3. What is the average GRE score and GPA of applicants admitted to a graduate program?
  4. What kind of health insurance do students receive at the University of Michigan? Where can I learn more about the university’s health insurance program?
  5. When do courses at the University of Michigan start?

How is my residency determined for tuition purposes? 

Questions about residency can be answered by visiting the U-M Office of the Registrar webpage. Please note, establishing residency can be a lengthy process. Thus, if you have been classified as an out-of-state student but believe you should be assessed in-state tuition rates, please fill out the residency application as soon as possible once you have decided to attend the University of Michigan.

Should I attend my program’s Campus Visit Day/preview day if one is offered? 

Admitted doctoral students should attend their program’s interview/preview day. If you are unable to attend for any reason, please contact your program directly to discuss alternatives. The preview is designed to provide you with information about the program, with a chance to speak with faculty and current students, as well as an opportunity to meet fellow classmates.

What is the average GRE score and GPA of applicants admitted to a graduate program? 

There are no minimum scores required for admission. In addition to your GRE score and GPA, an admissions committee will also take into consideration your academic statement of purpose, personal statement, resume, and letters of recommendation when making an admissions decision. Please talk with a representative of the program you are interested in for more information regarding the GRE.

What kind of health insurance do students receive at the University of Michigan? Where can I learn more about the university’s health insurance program? 

For a basic overview of what is covered by the health service fee assessed to students each semester, please visit the University Health Service (UHS) webpage.

Eligible students can select GradCare insurance, which is provided through the UHS. Visit the UHS webpage for more information about GradCare and eligibility.

If you hold at least a .25 appointment in a graduate student instructor, graduate student research assistant, or graduate student staff assistant position, you and your dependents will receive health insurance at no cost.

When do courses at the University of Michigan start?

Consult the U-M academic calendar for specific start and end dates. The Program only admits students fall term.